~1935 Map contributed by Chad Lape
An Illustrated History of the Counties of Rock and Pipestone, Minnesota
By Arthur P. Rose, 1911
County and Township Organization, 1870-1878
RIVERSIDE (BATTLE PLAIN)
In the early summer of 1877, Major D. E. Runals and others asked for the northeast corner township be declared organized under the name Riverside. The commissioners created the township July 16, 1877, and provided the first town meeting be held at the home of C. B. Rolph on August 11. The precinct was duly organized and went under the original name until March 19, 1878, when, notice having been received from the state auditor that another township in the state had a prior claim to the name Riverside. The name was changed to Battle Plain, in honor of the Indian battlefield located within its boundaries.