~1935 Map contributed by Chad Lape
An Illustrated History of the Counties of Rock and Pipestone, Minnesota
By Arthur P. Rose, 1911
County and Township Organization, 1870-1878
The fourth township to set up a government of its own was Magnolia, which was set off from the original Luverne township in the fall of 1872. There was practically no settlement in the township prior to the spring of that year, but during the summer and fall many claims were taken and the residents asked for authority to organize. The petition was dated September 21, 1872, and was signed by Sylvester Norton, Charles Cook, Thor Asleson, Quinby Loveland, Stewart Young, S. S. Maxwell, Austin Maxwell, Hyrcanus Griffith, T. F. Brockway, Michael Pickett, O. D. Turner, C. B. Rolph, E. N. Darling, Robert Douglass, Riley Brooks, Philander Phinney, W. H. Halbert, James H. Gillard, R. W. Shaw, Wallace Kearney and possibly others.
The township was created by the board of county commissioners November 27, 1872, and named Magnolia, the name being suggested by Philo Hawes, one of the commissioners, Magnolia having been the name of Mr. Hawes’ former home in Rock county, Wisconsin. The election to select the first officers was held at the home of Quinby Loveland on December 18, when the following residents were chosen officers: Quinby Loveland, Charles Cook and Philander Phinney, supervisors; S. S. Maxwell, assessor; Stewart Young, treasurer; R. W. Shaw and Quinby Loveland, justices of the peace; J. Johnson and James Gillard, constables.