~1935 Map contributed by Chad Lape
An Illustrated History of the Counties of Rock and Pipestone, Minnesota
By Arthur P. Rose, 1911
County and Township Organization, 1870-1878
The southwestern corner township had only one and one-half sections of railway lands within its borders and its settlement in the early days was quite rapid, most of the first settlers being Norwegians. It remained a part of Clinton township until March 12, 1873, when, upon the petition of Hans Jenson and others, it was erected into a separate political division. At this time only township 104, range 46, was organized as Martin township, the fractional part of range 47, although a long distance from the mother township, continuing to be a part of Clinton. Not until July 24, 1876, was the fractional strip given to Martin. The township was named in honor of John Martin, the first settler in the precinct. He located on section 13 in 1869 and built the first house in the township.