~1935 Map contributed by Chad Lape
An Illustrated History of the Counties of Rock and Pipestone, Minnesota
By Arthur P. Rose, 1911
County and Township Organization, 1870-1878
The grasshopper scourge of the early seventies had a depressing effect on the settlement of Rock county and it was three years after the creation of Springwater township before there was any more township making. Mound township was the next to perfect an organization, and when that was done Gregory township was reduced to the three northern townships. Mound township was named in honor of the vast pile of rock that lies within its boundaries and was created April 21, 1877, after considerable discussion. A petition signed by J. F. Shoemaker and twenty-one others was presented to the county board April 21, asking that the board take the necessary action, and at the same time a remonstrance signed by Charles Helgeson and eighteen others was presented. After consideration, the commissioners decided that the township was ready for organization and named May 3, 1877, as the date for holding the first town meeting, which was held on the northeast quarter of section 34.