~1935 Map contributed by Chad Lape
An Illustrated History of the Counties of Rock and Pipestone, Minnesota
By Arthur P. Rose, 1911
County and Township Organization, 1870-1878
Late in March, 1874, the citizens of township 103, range 46, and of the fractional strip in range 47, presented a petition, headed by C. W. Curtis, asking to be set off from Gregory and organized. The signers of the petition, with two exceptions, signified their choice of Albion as a name. The township was created May 5, under that name and it was provided that the first town meeting should be held at the home of George Collett, on the northwest quarter of section 22, on May 18. The change in name from Albion to Springwater was made by order of the commissioners June 15, 1874, in accordance with the request of the voters of the new township as expressed by petition.