~1935 Map contributed by Chad Lape
An Illustrated History of the Counties of Rock and Pipestone, Minnesota
By Arthur P. Rose, 1911
County and Township Organization, 1870-1878
The first step in the disintegration of Gregory township took place early in 1874, when Vienna withdrew. D. A. Hart, whose name headed the petition for organization, was responsible for the naming of the township. The commissioners authorized the organization on February 10, 1874, and named the residence of D. A. Hart as the place and February 28 as the time for holding the first town meeting. On that date the township’s first officers were chosen, as follows: Seth Mitchell, chairman; W. R. Stowe, Ole O. Haga, supervisors; W. R. Stowe, clerk; Nelson Mitchell Sr., treasurer; Joseph McMulkin, assessor; D. A. Hart, Nels Attleson, justices of the peace; A. G. Lincoln, Ole O. Opsata, constables.